A Food of Significance to Me: Natto


A food that has significance to me is natto, fermented soybeans. It is a Japanese food that even many
Japanese people do not enjoy. It is something that whenever I tell people from Japan they are surprised.
The reason it is quite important to me is that when I was young I lived in japan and natto always brings
back memories, including some funny ones. I clearly remember my parents betting with my sister that
she could not eat a whole serving of it, and of course, she couldn’t. I admit that it smells not only strongly,
but also quite bad. I think the thing that gets most people about it is the sliminess (and of course the
smell). A dish of it comes with a soy sauce like sauce and a mustard, I personally do not like the
mustard. It is a dish i still enjoy to this day, and still buy from the Asian shops quite often.

Comments